National Medical Stores - NMS is an autonomous government corporation that was established in 1993 under an act of parliament, Cap 207. The NMS Mandate is to Procure, Store and Distribute Medicines and Health Supplies to Government Health Facilities and other accredited facilities on behalf of the Government of Uganda.
Overall, the Corporation has a statutory advisory responsibility to the National Drug Authority, the Ministry responsible for Health, the Ministry responsible for Finance, Planning and Economic Development and the Ministry responsible for Local Government.
The core business of NMS is the cost effective procurement, storage and distribution of a range of pharmaceutical products to all public health institutions in Uganda. Over the recent years, the Government of Uganda introduced a policy to streamline the procurement of medicines and health supplies for Government health facilities by pooling funds under a common fund managed by the National Medical Stores (NMS).
The policy change has seen a growth in our mandate to serve 100% of government health facilities including the Police, Army and Prisons. This new mandate necessitates an increase in operational capacity, notably in the stock range of Essential Medicines & Health Supplies [approximately 3,000 SKUs], storage capacity fleet size for distribution of supplies countywide and an appropriated Management Information system to support warehouse and NMS operations in general.
As part of the 5 year strategic plan [2011-2015] NMS, has undertaken to streamline and consolidate warehouse and logistical operations to archive cost effectiveness and efficiency by instituting better systems and mechanisms of a robust warehouse and sound supply chain management operations.
The country has received funding from the Global Fund through the Health system strengthening Grant UGD-S-MoFPED for the construction of a new warehouse for National Medical Stores to provide adequate washhouse space to accommodate the increasing volume of pharmaceuticals and other health supplies.
3. Preliminary Technical Information & Requirements:
- The Site:
- 4 hectares (40,000 sqm) on a two degree sloping site.
- Land Located at LRV 4408 Folio 8 Plot 261 Kajjansi Busiro County, Wakiso District approximately 1 km off the main Entebbe Kampala highway.
- A conceptual design and a layout has been prepared by the Client.
- The warehouse structure is expected to be a modern building, a minimum of 25,000sm to accommodate:
- A minimum of 24,000 Euro Type I pallet locations in narrow aisle format in seven tier racks
- Including 16,800 cubic metres for a drive-in cold room for vaccine and cold storage, 6 meters high
- 540 cubic meter bunker storage in four bunkers
- Multi-tier mezzanine fine picking area with gravity racks
- A carton picking area
- Conveyor belt marshalling / staging
- Forklift charging areas
- Modern dock, loading bay with overhead doors, dock levelers, dock seals and truck restraint system for a minimum of ten receiving and ten dispatch docks.
- 6,000 sqm office space with access for the disabled on three levels
- Partial underground parking for staff and visitors
- Truck service bay
- Washing bay for two trucks at a time
- Repair workshop
- Steel structural system
- Metal roofing
- f concrete floors to support seven tier narrow aisle storage
- f concrete for truck parking and driveways
- Combination masonry and insulated metal panel exterior and interior walls
- Building services
- Solar power as a first source for lighting and office equipment
- Supplementary power from the national grid and diesel generators
- Trunking, conduiting and wiring for electricity, CCTV, phone, and data
- Wall mounted computer screens and workstations within store area
- Access control systems
- Temperature controlled warehouse
- Individual pallet sprinkler system for warehouse, firehoses in other areas. Gas based fire suppression in the power and server rooms.
- Stand-alone sewage treatment system
- Rainwater collection, storage and distribution system.
- Installation of a paper and plastic recycling unit
- Scope of Works:
- Carry out topographical, geotechnical and other site surveys
- Detail the design and produce production drawings and information,
- Obtain the appropriate permissions from the local and statutory authorities.
- Deliver a fully functional building that can immediately begin operations as a pharmaceutical storage warehouse.
- Design and Build Works under FIDIC contract.
4. Submission Requirements:
All Expressions of interest shall include a detail company profile with categorized documentary evidence of the following:
- Should have carried out at least two projects worth USD 10,000,000 each or more within the last 10 years.
- Bidders should provide evidence in form of recommendation letters for the completed projects from where such projects were executed.
- Proof of at least ten years’ experience in construction projects.
- Completion Certificates of construction projects carried out in the last 10 years should be provided from where such projects were executed.
- Experience in design and build construction of either; factory, warehousing and / distribution facilities with at least one project worth at least USD 10,000,000
- Evidence in form of Certificates showing completed work under Design and Build construction is required from where such projects were executed.
- Detail contact information for at least five referees to include phone number, email address, current position in their organization.
F5. 5. Names of the consultant firm or joint venture, address and registration details, certification (including year of incorporation or years of experience).
Org6. Organizational set up
Aor 7. Authorised contact persons with their full addresses (Tel. Fax E-mail)
8. A brief profile of the consultants/ joint venture (in case of a joint venture, an agreement indicating the joint venture is to be furnished).
10.A copy of valid trading license or its equivalent;
11.A signed statement indicating that the consultant does not have a conflict of interest in the subject of the procurement
12.Registered/Notarized powers of attorney
13.Valid tax clearance certificate
14.PPDA certificate of registration
15.Certified audited financial reports for the last three years i.e. (2014-2013, 2013-2012, 2012-2011)
16. Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture to enhance their qualifications. The form of association, where applicable, should be indicated in the Expression of Interest.
17. Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from Monday to Friday between 0800hrs to 1700hrs:
The General Manager,
National Medical Stores,
Plot 4-12 Nsamizi Road,
P.O. Box 16 Entebbe –UGANDA
Tel: 256 414 320542
E-mail : nms.go.ug
20. The planned Procurement schedule (Subject to changes) is as follows: